“Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success.” ~ Paul J. Meyer
Learning the art of communication is as essential as bread and butter to life. It is the source that adds monumental intent, meaning, and quality to one’s life.
Communication skills are crucial for both personal and professional life, and developing strong communication skills for sure should be on the top of your priority list. Let’s learn about how to improve your communication skills.
1. Reading More And More Is Must
Reading related to our work is something we all do but reading apart from that is something we all need to do. When you read a different variety of topics from whatever source (journal, magazine, books, newspapers, websites, blogs, manuals, etc.), it will improve your general knowledge, creativity skills, imagination power to a broader extent.
You should develop a reading habit according to your schedule. For example, assign at least 1-2 hours a day for reading or at least 30 minutes if you are too busy. You can also make a habit of reading 10 or 20 per day or else as per your suitability. Make sure to make reading a daily routine.
2. Practice Pronunciations of Words
Do you suppose pronunciations affect the manner you communicate?
Yes, pronunciation is the most crucial key to communication. We all want to be understood and interactive enough while communicating. Isn’t it?
If your pronunciation is incorrect, then it will end up passing the wrong message to the recipient. And you get the responses like – “Huh? What? Can you say that again?”.
So, start working on your pronunciation so that you can communicate more clearly, more effectively, and more confidently.
3. Learn to Use Words as Per the Situation
The right word in the right situation will make communication more effective. We should be mindful enough when choosing words to make the point clear.
There are plenty of words with similar meanings, but we often use the one we stick to in every situation, and it’s wrong. So, what do you need to do? Well, build your verbal fluency by following the given pointers:
- Make your vocabulary strong
- Never panic or rush. Whenever you speak, then you will have a chance to choose the right words
- Never jump for fancy words; instead, keep it simple, clear, and understandable
- Don’t hesitate if you are getting out of the words; instead, focus on what intent you are saying and convey it confidently
- Keep reminding the right words in your head as per the situation
This way, you will have command of different words, and your brain will get trained differently.
Related Article: How to Create a Dynamic and Expressive Persona
4. Be A Listener
Learning is a result of listening, which in turn leads to even better listening and attentiveness to the other person. ~ Alice Miller
Giving attention to the art of listening will fill you with much information, knowledge, greater clarity, and provide you with better perspectives, ideas, creativity, and strong imagination. That’s why one should have to be a good listener before anything.
Be it professional, academic, or personal terms, and active listening will be the most blissful art. Thus, it would be best to practice “active listening” to improve your listening skills.
- Give huge attention when someone says something, watch their body language, and avoid the side thoughts and disturbing elements around you
- Get yourself thoroughly engaged and show some gestures of active listening
- Give feedback as it reflects your listening, like what you perceive, what you understood, your perspective on the same, etc.
- Never interrupt in between even if you have a question; instead, process everything in your head and interact honestly and appropriately at the end
5. Learn to Create Proper Sentences
Sentence formation isn’t tricky; just make sure the sentence you are forming would be persuasive and grab others’ attention.
- Frame simple, short, and precise sentences that one can read and understand easily
- Don’t jump for plenty of unnecessary fancy words just to make it look attractive; instead, create a proper, precise sentence
- Don’t use jargon and focus on punctuation and spellings
- Be concise and eliminate the repetitive sentences as it may create confusion and mislead with the sentence’s real essence
- Create engaging, alluring, and precise sentences
Related Article: How To Start And Own A Conversation
6. Learn The Art of Non-Verbal Communication
Maximum of our daily communication is non-verbal. It is exchanging information through body languages such as facial expressions, eye contact, gestures, and many more. For instance, smiling when you meet somebody passes on friendliness, acknowledgment, and transparency.
Thus, it would be better to master the art of non-verbal signals.
- When people communicate, pay attention to their posture, eye contact, gestures, tone of voice, and body movements
- Keenly watch whether their words are matching their actions or not by observing their behavior
- Sharp your tone when you speak
- Make the right eye to eye connection with the audience
- Get clarity by asking genuinely and politely when you are a bit confused about the non-verbal signals
- Practice harder
7. Learn to Research About the Topics
Research is like the first step you take on anything. Research about the topics includes exploration, description, explanation, and application. When you explore, you will get information, and after having the information, you will be able to describe and summarize things.
- Schedule everything first, like what road you want to go on and until when to accomplish those
- Search for the sources where you get the related material and what is available to you. Read those and make notes and start keeping it all together
- Don’t just end up with one website. Expand your research by putting apt
- keywords on various websites. Then you will get a good overview of the topic.
- Make a note of the most relevant and precise data
- There are plenty of sources out there like authors’ work and research papers relevant to your research part. You can refer to the bibliography of them that certainly do your research to a broader extent
- One topic at a time. Putting too many questions meanwhile end up giving only the background information about the research. To get a direct apt answer to your topic, you need to research the exact question
- Make connections between all the relevant information that you have in your first draft. And grab those that fit the best into your topic
- Make sure you have a backup of all the sources and the information. You can bookmark and make a database ready as your backup
- Several offline sources like you can get an idea from books, take help from your professors, libraries, or anyone who has excellent hold and knowledge into your research topic area
Related Article: 5 Best Tips For Building Self-Confidence
8. Manage Your Stress While Communicating
The most common thing is the stress that almost everyone has from time to time. It is the body’s response to something that occurred or is going on and can rise in any situation, be it negative or positive. As your body responds to the situation, it causes mental, physical, or emotional strain.
It is highly crucial to managing your stress, or else it severely affects your communication skills. It creates trouble in choosing the right words, the manner you speak or express yourself.
- To overcome or manage your stress, figure out the root cause of stress. Then you could be able to stabilize your stress level and can make a plan to overcome it
- Instead of avoiding facing someone and isolating yourself from the outer world, try to open up more and increase the communication with the people around you, be it your friends, colleagues, relatives, classmates, family, or your loved ones
- Pamper yourself. Make some of your favourite delicious dishes, date yourself, take healthy nutrients, maintain a good healthy diet, meditate, etc
- Choose yourself over anything and do what makes you immensely happy
9. Talk More with Yourself Positively
How about becoming yourself your best companion?
Well, I know many of us are victims of circumstances like overthinking, negative thoughts, self-doubt, impatience, anger, hatred, stress, and the list could be unending.
But talking positively with yourself and making an optimistic approach is something we could appreciate in our lives. Try to talk with yourself while looking into the mirror. That’s not only helpful in improving your communication skill but also in developing your overall personality.
10. Write Daily – Start Your Journal or Blog
Clear your vision about why you want to keep a journal or write a blog as it is the best self-improvement weapon. You will get to know about the end number of qualities of yourself like how productive and creative you are, how good a thinker you are, when you are more productive, do your decisions make sense, how good a decision-maker you are, what perspective you have, and so on.
Make sure you build up a daily habit of writing journals or blogs.
- Find out the source where you want to keep your writings. It could be applications, dairy, notebooks, websites, and so on.
- Schedule a time as per your suitability. Some people prefer it daily and some sometimes in a week. But I would suggest writing daily would be more beneficial
- Get a clear picture of what thoughts you want to keep as your journal or blog. If you are going to write the daily bites of yours, pen down in a diary would be best, want to share any experience you can write a blog on that, want to frame daily thoughts, or general perspective of yours keep it in a daily journal.
“If you just communicate, you can get by. But if you communicate skillfully, you can work miracles.”~ Jim Rohn
Grab the ways to improve your communication skills. Be a great communicator and do wonders. All the Best!