What is the in-demand skill to learn?
How to build a career in a new and most growing industry?
What is the best marketing growth hack to scale business?
Well, if your fingers often type any of the sentences mentioned above on the search engine, then you must have come across the term ‘Digital Marketing’ on it.
Because of the growing demand in multiple sectors; Digital Marketing is one of the most searched skills on the internet. It started popping up in the west (mostly in America) in the year 2000 due to the rapid growth of the internet. However, in India, the skill came into practice around 2009 or 2010.
As stated earlier, the demand for digital marketing is increasing day by day, and hence one can explore multiple career opportunities with this skill.
But before you go and start chasing the sources and materials to learn this skill, you should understand the basics of digital marketing that will show you the path to learn this skill without any complications.
So, let’s cut to the chase and understand the basics of Digital Marketing.
Go ahead and get the answers to 6 essential questions about Digital Marketing.
- What is marketing?
- What is digital marketing?
- What is the difference between digital marketing and internet marketing?
- What are the branches of digital marketing?
- Why is digital marketing important for businesses?
- Which is the most important type of digital marketing?
What is Marketing?
Marketing is a process of identifying customers for a product or service and making it accessible to those customers through different mediums of communication.
What is Digital Marketing?
Marketing of a product or service by using any electronic medium of communication is Digital Marketing. The first digital marketing happened when the first time someone promoted a brand through radio.
Few examples of digital marketing:
- Branded SMS you receive on your phone.
- That big screen in a shopping mall where you see any brand’s video advertisement.
- Radio ads you listen to while driving your car to the office.
- Bank’s services announcement you see on an ATM.
What is the difference between Digital Marketing and Internet Marketing?
As mentioned earlier, Digital Marketing is marketing done through any electronic medium. At the same time, Internet marketing is the promotion of a product, service, or profile using the different platforms available on the internet like social media.
So, you can say that internet marketing is a part of digital marketing. People confuse between these two terms because the internet has dominated all other electronic mediums of communication, and a large part of digital marketing is done via different mediums of the internet only.
What are the branches of digital marketing?
- Websites Development
- Search Engine Optimization
- Search Engine Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Online Reputation Management/ Digital PR
- Digital OOH advertising
- Advertising with Publishers/Affiliate Marketing
- Programmatic Advertising
Why is Digital Marketing essential for businesses?
The goal of marketing is to make a product or service accessible to target customers. So, marketers tend to choose mediums or places for advertisement where the target group or customer is mostly available.
That’s why you see a product for children being advertised on a cartoon channel.
Kindly go through the data below, and you will get to know the importance of digital marketing for a business.
- There are 5.2 billion unique mobile phone users in the world today, according to the latest data from GSMA Intelligence.
- There are 4.66 billion internet users in the world today.
- The average global internet user spends almost 7 hours online each day.
- There are 4.14 billion social media users in the world today – more than half of the world’s total population.
- The average global user spends 2 hours and 29 minutes on social media each day.
Your doubt must be clear now!
Which is the most important branch of digital marketing?
None can claim one single medium as the most important for marketing. Every medium has different functionality, and people use different mediums for a different purpose. The job of a marketer is to identify the right medium as per the need and use it wisely for better outcomes.
So, this was all the basics that you need to know about digital marketing. You must have got a better idea now to explore this skill.