If you have created a new website for your business/ blog and are looking for some sources to guide you to complete the On-Page SEO then this blog is completely for you.
Follow each and every step mentioned here to complete your on-page SEO.
1. How To Select Keywords For Pages/Blogs
Keywords are the group of words that searchers enter into a search engine to find the answer to their query. So, to make your blogs/page visible to searchers, it is extremely crucial to find and use the right keywords in your blog pages/website.
Here are steps to do research and find the right keywords for on-page SEO:
Create a list of keywords that matches the intent of your audience
Understanding the intent of your audience/searcher is a prerequisite because it helps you filter out keywords that are technically related to your blogs/pages. For example, if your blog is about stock market education/tips then you should analyze and include those keywords that satisfy searchers’ intent.
Once you are done with the searchers’ intent, find relevant keywords using Google Keyword Planner Tool. Here are the steps to find keywords using the Keyword Planner.
- Go to the Keyword Planner
- Click on the Discover New Keywords
- Enter a keyword related to your blog (Here in this example “ stock market tips”) and click on “ Get Results”. Wait for a moment to see the magic.
You can see the results relevant keywords with their search volume and difficulty level.
Go through the results while checking the relevancy. This will help you understand the searcher’s intent in a deeper way. After you are done with checking, make a list of all these relevant keywords.
Look at the keywords’ search volume and difficulty
You can’t include every keyword on your blog page/website. To rank high on search engines you need to find keywords that are easy to rank and bring more traffic. But how would you compare a keyword from others? Like everything you compare by measurement, you can also compare the performance of a keyword by knowing its search volume and difficulty level. Let’s understand both.
Keywords’ Difficulty– It tells you how difficult it is to rank for a keyword on a search engine. If the competition is high, it’s tough to rank for this keyword.
Search Volume– It gives you an estimate of how many users are searching for a keyword every month. If a keyword has a high search volume it will also have high competition.
As you are familiar with search volume and difficulty, now check both parameters for each keyword to analyze the performance. This will give you an idea.
Extract top 10 keywords based on search volume
Now based on search volume and level of difficulty create another list of top 10 keywords. Always keep in mind that the keyword you choose can have a moderate search volume as long as it has high relevance. Never choose a keyword that has high search volume but has no relevance.
Finalize and add these keywords in your blogs/pages wherever required.
While there are several places where you can place your keywords for SEO, but it is recommended to place your keywords here:
- Headings and Content
- Title Tag
- Meta Description
- Image File Names And Alt Text
- Link Text
Once you are set, select the most relevant keyword and use it at the above places. As mentioned earlier it’s not necessary and recommended to use every keyword, it will lead to keyword stuffing. Instead of including all 10 keywords in body content, you should try to answer the search intent of these keywords.
2. How To Write Meta Description and Meta Title
Meta Title and Meta Description are the first things that a searcher sees on the search engine result pages (SERPs). So it’s the first step to grab the attention of searchers and increase click-through rate(CTR).
Check out this SERP from Money Control. The text in bold blue font is Meta Title and the text below in small and black is Meta Description.
Technically both tags are important as they tell the search engine the name of the page and what is it all about.
To write the best page titles and meta descriptions, you must make them unique, make sure they’re not too short or long, use accurate keyword phrases for each page, do not do keywords stuffing, and write for people, not robots.
Meta Title– Ahrefs explains that the primary goal of Meta Title Tag is to tell visitors and search engines what they can expect from the web page.
A good title should be concise, short, and clearly explains the benefit a searcher will get. Follow the steps below to write a good and clickable Meta Title.
- The title should be short (up to 60 characters)
- Make sure the title contains the main focus keyword
- The title should describe its benefits
- Don’t use more than one keyword
- Make title unique to avoid duplicacy
- Use your brand name in Title
- Make Title Catchy
Check out this example for reference.
There are some good free tools out there on the internet that you can use to create Meta Titles. Here are two tools: Hemingway and TweakYourBiz that I recommend you to checkout.
Meta Description – The meta description is an HTML attribute that is a brief summary of your blog/website. According to Yoast, here are the elements you need to make a good meta description:
- Keep it up to 155 characters
- Use active voice and make it actionable
- Include a call-to-action
- Use your focus keyword
- Show specifications, where possible
- Make sure it matches the content of the page
- Make it unique
Here is an example of a good Meta Description
- Technical Setup For SEO
Apart from creating meta tags you also need to make your website technology friendly to implement on-page SEO faster and easier. Thanks to developers and coders who have actually made on-page SEO really easier. Here are the steps to do the technical setup for SEO.
Installing Plugin for WordPress
Editing manually to source code of webpages to add Meta Tags for SEO is a very tedious task even if you know how to code. But, if you are using WordPress it becomes really easier to do it with premade SEO plugins. There are plenty of SEO plugins available for WordPress like Yoast SEO, Rank Math, etc.. Here are the steps you need to follow to install the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Login to your WordPress Backend
- On the left-hand side of the dashboard, click on “Plugins” in the menu
- Click on the ‘Add New’ button on the top bar
- Search ‘Yoast SEO’ in the search plugin bar
- Click on the ‘Install Now’ button to install Yoast
- Once you are done with the installation, click the ‘Activate’ button.
- Voila!! Configure the plugin.
Creating SEO Panel In Non-WordPress Site
Non-WordPress site? Don’t worry. If your website or blog is not on WordPress, you require a developer who could set up an SEO panel. This will save your effort of manually editing backend HTML codes to add tags. Ask your developer to create an SEO panel or you can create yourself if you know to code.
Setting Up Website Favicon
Adding Favicon or Site Icon to your website gives it an identity & trust and helps increase brand recognition. As for credibility and trust support SEO, it becomes essential to add favicons.
While you are doing technical SEO setup ask your developer to add the favicon to your site. Make sure to use the recommended size (512x512px) and add it to every page. Or if you have a WordPress website or want to add it by yourself, read how to add the favicon to your website.
4. Google Webmaster Setup For Website
Robots.txt set-up on the website
Robots.txt file acts as a gatekeeper that tells search engines crawlers which pages to crawl and which pages not to crawl. This allows you to control the pages of your website you want search engines to index and rank.
Setting a robots.txt is easy. Follow these steps:
- Create a robots.txt file- Use your notepad or any online tool to create it. If you are not familiar with its format, feel free to check out how to create the perfect Robots.txt file for SEO
- Upload the robots.txt file- Test the robots.txt file you just created and ask your developer to upload it to the root directory of your website. For example, if your domain is www.mydomain.com, you will place the file at www.mydomain.com/robots.txt
- Submit your robots.txt to search engines- Doing this allows search engines to more quickly crawl and index txt file for your site
Creating Webmaster Id
To set up google webmaster id you first need a Gmail account. You can use your personal Gmail or create a Gmail for your website.
- Sign in with your Gmail account- Go to Google Webmaster and sign in with your Gmail account.
- Enter your website domain- After you sign in, enter the domain you want to create the webmaster id.
Submitting Tags on Website and verification
As soon as you enter and continue, the webmaster asks you to verify your domain ownership. It provides you with many methods to verify your domain. Choose the method that suits you. If you want to use the HTML tag method, then copy the code and add it to your website either by WordPress dashboard or any CMS or by directly adding to the head tag of source code of the home page.
Once your website is verified, it will appear in google search console. Next step is to create a sitemap for your website and submit it to google. A sitemap is a directory of all the pages of your websites. It basically tells search engines what pages your website has. Follow the below-given steps.
- Create a site map- you can use online tools to create a sitemap or ask your developer to code it.
- Validate your sitemap- If you or your developer has coded it, validate it on XML Sitemap Validator tool to avoid errors
- Add your sitemap to robots.txt and root of the website – Find the root folder of your website and add it there. The address of your website sitemap will look like www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml. After you add it to the root folder, add the link of sitemap to robots.txt to give instruction to search engine crawlers.
- Submit your sitemap to search engines- Now that you have added a sitemap to the website, you need to submit it to search engines. Go to the Google search console (for google) and navigate crawl>sitemaps. Click on ‘Add Sitemap to add your sitemap, click submit and that’s it.
If your website is on WordPress you can create a sitemap easily by the Yoast SEO plugin.
Inspecting Links and Request Indexing
To check whether your website pages are indexed and shown up in search engines you need to check the page links manually. Also, search engines may take days or weeks to index your web pages, you can manually request indexing your website pages. If you don’t know how to inspect URL in google, follow these steps:
- Go to Google Search Console
- Navigate to the URL inspection on the header of Search Console
- Paste the URL you’d like Google to index in the search result.
- Wait for Google to check the URL.
- Fix the errors if there are any.
- Click the “Request indexing” button for manual indexing
Do this process every time you add a new webpage or blog page to your website.
5. Website Speed Check & Corrections
How much time does your website take to get uploaded? This is a very important metric for on-page SEO. Google does not rank sites on the top if its uploading speed is poor. Speed is part of user experience so your website must provide a better user experience.
How to check the speed of your website and do the optimizations?
This is very simple. Just visit Google Page Speed Insight.
Enter your website’s URL and analyze the speed. It will take only a few seconds. You will get the speed for mobile and desktop both. After receiving the result, scroll down and you will find the optimization checkpoints. Share these points with your developer or if you have a WordPress website then search for a good plugin for the solution and install it.
6. Website Interlinking
Search engines discover new pages by crawling your website. So, interlinking the pages of your website makes it easier for the crawlers to find the new links.
So, you should always find a way to interlink your pages. For example, if you have a blog website then you can hyperlink the topics of the other 2 blogs in between the paragraphs. Or, you can hyperlink a keyword to a new blog of your website.
7. SEO for website Images
It’s important to optimize the images you upload on your website for search engines. If your images are available on Google Image then people who are looking for similar images can use yours and give your website credit for it by mentioning the link to the source. This can generate new audiences for your website.
Steps for optimizing your website images:
i) Save the image file with the proper name. Use topic keywords while saving.
ii) Mention The proper Title Of The Image
iii) Write down a one-paragraph description for your image
iv) Create an ALT Tag for your Image
Follow these 7 steps properly and your website will be indexed on Google within 10 days of optimization.
Also, Don’t Forget To Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter To Get Valuable Content. Subscribe Now!